Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Interviews

Interviews

I asked my brother, my father and his friend about the recent happenings in Argentine football.
(FE) Federico Roth, my father, 45, River Plate Fan
(JS) Juanchi Serra, father's friend, 43, River Plate fan
(FR) Felipe Roth, my brother, 12, Football fan.

1) What do you think of Grondona? Do you believe he is the reason Argentina cannot reach the next level in world football?

Julio Grondona - dictator?

(FE)- I think Grondona is a dictator within AFA. He is old and out of touch of football, after 38 years ( in charge) he should make way for a younger generation.
(FR)- He is not doing a good job as president. I belive he is the reason Argentina cannot reach the next level in football.
(JS)- I don't like to focus on the negative aspects of football, or the politically side of football, but I believe he should make way for another President.


2) Are you in favor of a 38 team tournament? Why do you think they made this tournament?
(FR)-  No (not in favor). I believe they only made this tournament so River Plate go back to the first division, and Racing & Boca don't descend.
(FE)-No. They did this so River Plate go to the same level as the other teams. I, as a River Plate fan, do not want River the regain their category in that way.
(JS)- I believe this shows the level of corruption in Argentine football. I believe they made this tournament so River plate can go back to the First Division


3) Do you believe Sabella is the right man to manage Argentina?
(JS)- It should have been J.J Lopez (all laugh). Seriously? I do not believe he is the right man for the job. He is too inexperienced.

(FE)- I believe he is the right man for the job. He has a calm analytical personality, and he doesn't like to be a like to be baby (doesn't blame other people).
(FR)-He was the coach of Estudiantes, right? He did a really good job there, but I believe all he has to do is choose the right players.

I now interviewed my firend who is a die hard Boca Juniors fan
1) What do you think of Grondona? Do you believe he is the reason Argentina cannot reach the next level in world football? 
He is bad for Argentine football. He is a thief who abuses of the money provided by AFA.

2) Are you in favor of a 38 team tournament? Why do you think they made this tournament?
Well, I should be in favour of the tournament, right? *laughs. But, I am against it, although it benefits Boca ( because they are fighting relegation). They made this so the big teams stay and River returns.

3) Do you believe Sabella is the right man to manage Argentina?
 He is a great coach, but I don't believe he is the right man for the job. I believe it should have been someone who was always been a great coach; like Garreca ( Velez's coach) or Carlos Bianchi. Although I would love Maradona to return.

RiBer Plate; a classic joke
The next Interview is from Dougal Feguson, a scotsman living in Buenos Aires
He started of saying" (as a) Scotsman living in Argentina. I used to love football, and now, to be honest, I don´t. It's a soap opera, a telenovela for men."
1) What do you think of Grondona? Do you believe he is the reason Argentina cannot reach the next level in world football?
I don't think the problem is only Grondona. From what I know about him he is self-interested and short-sighted, but the problem of la selección isn't really what determined by happens in domestic football as so few of the team plays in Argentina.

2) Are you in favor of a 38 team tournament? Why do you think they made this tournament?
No, not at all (not in favor). The 38 tournament is ridiculous, for a number of reasons. Whether it is to allow River to return immediately to the top division of not, sport should be meritocracy: same rules for everyone. If you're good enough, you succeed. If not, you fail. One of the best things about sport is that it is without prejudice; you are judged only on your results. The feeling that the rules are changed to protect the Big 4 is terrible.

3) Do you believe Sabella is the right man to manage Argentina?
I don't know. I thought Basile was doing a good job before the Copa America. The problem is Messi; he's the best player in the world, but he is often very very poor for Argentina, although it is almost blasphemy to say so to an Argentine. Like Lampard for England; so good at Chelsea, ineffective for England.


The Next Manager of Argentina- Sabella

Dougal then continues his criticism of Leo Messi by saying he should be dropped from the team, but accepts that is not a realistic option "The decision of the coach is whether you drop your best player for the benefit of the team. An Argentine coach would last about 30 seconds after dropping Messi. So you have to try to get the best out of him, which Batista seemed to be doing. Sabella: best next option, I would say."

From these interviews there is one reocurring theme throughout- Argentine football needs change. All of the people seem to think Grondona is the reason why Argentine are not doing so well in football. They are also all against the 38- team tournament (which since has been dismissed by AFA), but they have mixed feelings about Sabella. They all seem satisfied with Sabella, but believe Argentina could do better. Overall, I believe Argentines are still waiting for Messi to step it up for Argentina, but in my opinion they are expecting too much from the nacional team, they dont have the defense to make a winning team.

No comments:

Post a Comment